Saturday, October 19, 2013

Snack time

While on my walk yesterday I decided to stop at a bakery near the train station to try something.  There is always a 50/50 chance that when you get what appears to be a dessert pastry it will contain bean paste.  I decided to be safe and go with a savory bead item instead.  I picked two things, one looked like a crispy flour tortilla with cheese inside and the other was a rolls with cheese sprinkled on top and baked.  Kelly can't have dairy so when we are out without her we often get something because we can.  I paid and continued on my walk trying the food.  Again, nothing is ever as it seems when it comes to Japan.

The first, the tortilla roll up.  Turns out it was cheese inside but not the kind I was expecting.  Instead it was the processed liquid nacho cheese type.  And it gets better.  There was also a hot dog! haha I was not expecting that.  It ended up being the liquid cheese, hot dog, and salsa.  For what it was it was ok but not what I had in mind when I picked it out.  Being able to read Kanji would save us all a lot of surprises.  Its surprising how many things have hot dogs here in Japan.  The grocery store has numerous options in the hot foods section and prepackaged food area with hot dogs.  Also most of the bakeries, and even doughnut shops, have hot dogs wrapped in breads and rolls.





After my failed attempt in my first experience I was glad I had gotten two.  With this one it was what appeared to be just a roll with cheese on top.  The first bite went great and looked normal.  It was the second bite where I realized in between the roll and cheese was a layer of shrimp salad.  Mainly just shrimp drenched in mayonnaise.  They sure do like their mayonnaise here!  Even though these were not what I had in mind when I bought them I ate them and called it a semi-success.  At least they were edible! I probably would have had more luck with the dessert thing haha



No comments:

Post a Comment