Thursday, October 3, 2013

Bicycles

Whoever coined the phrase you never forget how to ride a bike was a .... L I A R!  Sure i remember the basics, sit down, put your hands on the handle bars, feet on the pedals.  But not about the lack of balance or the fact that japan sidewalks are only 2 feet wide!

Everyone in Japan uses bicycles as a main source of transportation because you can get around faster than with a car (due to the high traffic) and obviously faster than walking.  We ended up getting two from the university to borrow and they bought one with a child seat for Marley.  Today was our first day with them and boy was I nervous.  I haven't been on a bicycle since I was like 7! It is not as easy or care-free as the Japanese make it look! the bicycles are super cute, old fashioned, with a basket in the front.  Mine is even pink.  But that does not make up for the fact that I have no balance and cannot turn! We went for a brief stroll around to help me practice before hitting the actually street.  I fell into a tree and a ran into a wall...

I don't know how mothers do this with two infant children riding along.  One in front and one in back.  Makes me nervous just to have Marley ride with Seth.  It took a little bit of time today but i finally started to feel a little comfortable on the bicycle.  I didn't instantly start sweating when I had to get on tonight, which is a huge improvement!  The problem is though that the sidewalks are like 2 feet wide with people, other bicycles, and cars within inches of you.  There is no way i can maneuver that easily and smoothly! I kept having to stop and wait to go around or for them to pass before i started again.  Its going to be a miracle if I can get through this first week of bicycles without falling and breaking something or landing into a car haha

This is a picture of all the bicycles by the gate of the university!



No comments:

Post a Comment